Why incomplete subscript/superscript alphabet ?

Julian Bradfield jcb+unicode at inf.ed.ac.uk
Mon Oct 10 15:15:34 CDT 2016

On 2016-10-10, Hans Åberg <haberg-1 at telia.com> wrote:
>> On 10 Oct 2016, at 21:42, Doug Ewell <doug at ewellic.org> wrote:
>> Hans Åberg wrote:
>>> I think that IPA might be designed for broad phonetic transcriptions
>>> [1], with a requirement to distinguish phonemes within each given
>>> language.
>> IPA can be used pretty much as broadly or as narrowly as one wishes.
>
> Within each language, but is not designed to capture differences between different languages or dialects.

What do you mean? The IPA in narrow transcription is intended to
provide as detailed a description as a human mind can manage of
sounds. It doesn't care whether you're describing differences between
languages or differences within languages (a distinction that is not
in any case well defined).

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.