Bit arithmetic on Unicode characters?

Ken Shirriff ken.shirriff at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 10:24:59 CDT 2016

Looking at the image, the idea of the proposal is to include chess piece
symbols in all four 90° rotations? Wouldn't it be better to do this in
markup than in Unicode? I fear a combinatorial explosion if Unicode starts
including all the possible orientations of characters. (Maybe there's a
good reason to do this for chess; I'm just going off the image
<http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss7/Garth_Wallace/proposed%20characters_zps81m0frvl.png>
.)

Ken