Dealing with Unencodeable Characters

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Thu Oct 6 15:01:01 CDT 2016

Philippe Verdy wrote:

> The 3 glyphs for the Earth globe (centered on Americas, or
> Europe+Africa or South/East Asia+Australia) are not distinguished at
> all in Unicode (I've not seen any sequence with variants selectors to
> help distinguishinhg them,

0xFC through 0xFE in Webdings are:

1F30D;EARTH GLOBE EUROPE-AFRICA;So;0;ON;;;;;N;;;;;
1F30F;EARTH GLOBE ASIA-AUSTRALIA;So;0;ON;;;;;N;;;;;
1F30E;EARTH GLOBE AMERICAS;So;0;ON;;;;;N;;;;;

I was asked not to publish my mapping tables (which were taken from one
of the final versions of the proposal) because they wouldn't have been
provided directly by Microsoft. But let me know if you need any
additional mappings on a one-off basis. *All glyphs in the Wingdings and
Webdings fonts have had actual Unicode mappings since version 7.0 (June
2014).*

> and there are some fonts showing the Earth globe centered on the
> Antarctic).

Sorry, I must have missed the part in
http://www.unicode.org/mail-arch/unicode-ml/y2016-m10/0058.html where
you were talking about that.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, US | ewellic.org