Why incomplete subscript/superscript alphabet ?

Marcel Schneider charupdate at orange.fr
Thu Oct 6 13:03:32 CDT 2016

On Thu, 6 Oct 2016 16:55:32 +0200, Frédéric Grosshans wrote:

[…]
>> Anyway, combining diacritics should be placeable on superscripts as well.
> Like «3ᵉ̀ᵐᵉ» ? It already works on my laptop (Thunderbird in Ubuntu 16.04)
> The superscripted part is 1D49 + 0300 + 1D50 + 1D49, and there is
> nothing to add.

As others pointed out, this depends also on the font. In my webmail and
in my text editor, the accent displays above the m, struck across the
upper edge of the superscript letter.

The French Standards body is asking for a facility on the keyboard
to input the French ordinal indicator, basically a superscript e,
as a plain text character:
XXᵉ siècle [20th century, or since we are on it: 20ᵗʰ century].
There is no recommended use of accents when talking about French ordinals.
See this shocking image (the neon sign was deprecated *and* faulty):

https://twitter.com/XimeLelong/status/776448216346791936

Regards,
Marcel