Why incomplete subscript/superscript alphabet ?

Philippe Verdy verdy_p at wanadoo.fr
Wed Oct 5 10:34:02 CDT 2016

> > There is no point about other letters than the basic alphabet
> superscripted,
> > as no French abbreviation exceeds this range (despite of what I believed
> > in 2014, like many other people).
>
> What does that mean? How would that help for the French vernacular
> there are many more uses than you think. Higher level protocols can already
> support these.
> Maybe what we need is better and more general higher level protocol
> support.

I agree, French allows abbreviating many words by appending the last new
letters in superscripts. 3<super>e</super> is recommended but
3<super>ème</super>
is still very frequent. As well you'll see abbreviations using <sup>é</sup>
(a frequent termination for past participles, generally used with the
previous consonnant and possibly followed with the féminine/plural final
letters, all in superscript).

Almost nobody use the preencoded superscript letters for this (notably not
still frequently written "1<sup>ère</sup>")