Manatee emoji?

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Wed Nov 23 18:13:07 CST 2016

Short answer: not really :)

Most of (particularly the initial batch) of emoji were used in other contexts before Unicode.  Most notably the Japanese mobile telephone companies added them.  They also differentiated between carriers by types and features of supported characters.  That led to incompatibilities between the companies and an incentive to standardize them in Unicode.

Since then, there are other systems that provide emoji outside of Unicode or other mechanisms.  (Like gifs or special codes in messaging software).  So they keep evolving.

I'm probably skipping other ways these shapes get created that evolve into Unicode emoji.

-Shawn