Line-Breaking Hyphenation

Richard Wordingham richard.wordingham at ntlworld.com
Wed Nov 23 03:05:11 CST 2016

What is 'line-breaking hyphenation'?  In particular, I am trying to
determine the meaning of the TUS statement 'There is no
line-breaking hyphenation' referring to the Lanna script at the end of
TUS Section 16.7.

One possibility is that it means that visible text does not
distinguish line breaks within words from line breaks at word
boundaries, which would be a statement about the prevalent style.

Another possibility is that it means that automatic line-breaking does
not split words.  I am not sure if 'opportunities for line breaking are
lexical' nevertheless allows for the use of hyphenation dictionaries.

The statement 'Opportunities  for  line  breaking  are  lexical,  but
a  line  break  may  not  be inserted between a base letter and a
combining diacritic' confuses me.  Is it saying that a clitic may not
be separated from a word if so doing would break a vertical stack?
Perhaps it is also saying that there is no line break between words if
thay share a vertical stack, as can happen in Pali.