Bidi: inserting Japanese paragraphs in Arabic/Farsi document

Eli Zaretskii eliz at gnu.org
Sun Nov 20 21:39:56 CST 2016

> From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p at wanadoo.fr>
> Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2016 21:19:40 +0100
> Cc: Simon Cozens <simon at simon-cozens.org>,
> 	unicode Unicode Discussion <unicode at unicode.org>
>
> Note that if you get :
>
> OWT-CIBARA "Japanese2 【Japanese1】" ENO-CIBARA
>
> this means that the first quotation mark is "transparent" and preserves the RTL direction.

Yes.  It takes the direction of the paragraph, which is RTL.

> And I don't see then how you can pair the final quotation mark, unless you consider it as "leading" the
> ARABIC-TWO part (meaning that you don't pair these quotation marks at all: only brackets are paired and the
> fragment【Japanese1】 is correct (you are using the new Bidi algorithm).

The quotes don't need to pair, they just need both to have the
paragraph direction.  And that's what happens, because text on each
side of each quote has different directionality.  The UBA mandates
that the quote (which is ON) takes the embedding direction in that
case, and the embedding direction here is the base paragraph
direction.