The (Klingon) Empire Strikes Back

Philippe Verdy verdy_p at wanadoo.fr
Thu Nov 17 21:46:07 CST 2016

Fonts when they are not copyrightable are still patentable. The complexity
of IP rights is growing and their scope of application as well (sometimes
with backward effects in time, including on the "public domain"). I would
not bet anything on a past decision by a US court, and anyway we're not
building just an US standard but an international standard: may be the
Unicode consortium or ISO would not be liable of infringments or subjects
to claims of IP rights in US, this doies not mean that there won't be
claims elsewhere, if the standard bodies cannot assert themselves their own
IP rights (which are then allowing them to licence the standards "for free"
to anyone in the world).

In this complex world, all that can be done is tohave a faire procedure for
litigations, and get some security by offering enough time for such claims,
after which a local (but applicable) law enforcement body will be able to
decide that these claims are coming too late to be valid (in the IP world,
such delays for "too late" claims can be extremely long, up to 70 years or
more for claims by individual people, ot 10 years for tangible properties
and appropriation of the public domain or the private domain of someone
else). On the Internet this fair system is known as the "UDRP" procedure
(which applies as well on claims for domain names).

But once this time is exhausted an IP rights are no longer exclusive,
someone else could build a new claim (e.g. by registering new patents
against what shoudl be the public domain and it is then costly to counter
these attacks that are too common with patents and trademarks). And when
there's uncertainty about the oreservation of the public domain or
legitimete use of it, some countries prefer redefining the delays
(including with backward applications, for example Russia): they can do
that with national laws unless these countries are bound to international
treaties: this has occured notably before the WIPO became a mostly
worldwide body enforcing the applicability or non-applicability of IP
rights in more tan just one country. But WIPO is now concerned with new
kind of rights.

Historically there was the patent system (derived from industrial rights
and artistic rights), then the copyright system, now there's the new
database IP system, and the moral right for physical persons starts being
extended to moral persons... In fact with these constant extensions, I am
not sure that all existing publications of the standard are not partly
covered now by new claims against which we've not opposed officially in due
time. This means that this goes beyond the single case of Klingons. We know
that the historic human language is now being appropriated (notably by
trademarks). In fact, all existing standards are concerned.