The (Klingon) Empire Strikes Back

Philippe Verdy verdy_p at wanadoo.fr
Thu Nov 3 19:06:49 CDT 2016

> 3. For my part, I've invented a pair of ampersands for Klingon (Klingon
> has two words for "and": one for joining verbs/sentences and one for
> joining nouns (the former goes between its "conjunctands", the latter after
> them)), from ligatures of the letters in question.

That is not new to Klingon, and it exists also in Classical Latin :

- the coordinator "et" between words, for simple cases; this translates as
"and" in English...
- the "-que" suffix at end of the second word which may be far after the
first one (which could be in another prior sentence, or implied by the
context and not given explicitly); this translates as the adverb "also" in
English... I've seen that suffix abbreviated as a "q" with a tilde above,
or a slanted tilde mark attached above, or an horizontal tilde crossing the
leg of the q below... Sorry I can't remember the name of these abbreviation
marks.