Non-standard 8-bit fonts still in use

Don Osborn dzo at bisharat.net
Sun May 8 09:19:54 CDT 2016

Thanks all for the replies on this matter. Concerning the keyboard side
of the issue, there has been a lot of discussion about unified standards
over the years, but what we end up with is maybe another case of "The
nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from."
Within that, there seem to be two main questions addressed by keyboard
creation: production and popular use. It Many keyboards are made with
production in one or maybe a couple of languages in mind - this is in
line with the thinking behind creation of old 8-bit modified fonts. On
the other hand, is the need for keyboard layouts that can be accessed
broadly without the users having to learn new key assignments at each
new device. In terms of philosophy, I'd see common keyboards as more in
line with the intent of Unicode.

In the ideal world, there would be no distinction between keyboards
created with limited/focused production in mind (limited in the sense of
one language in a multilingual society and/or focused on a particular
production need), and keyboards intended to facilitate broad usage. Like
a QWERTY+ or AZERTY+ perhaps? That has not been easy - kind of another
theory of everything problem.

The flexibility of touchpad keyboards in theory gets beyond the
limitations of the physical keyboards - has anyone tried adding a row to
say a QWERY layout, which includes additional characters, rather than
sweating the issues about shoehorning them in other levels or key
sequences? Is that even possible? Still would be helpful to have
standards, but where something is visible, it is easy to use.

On the font side, my impression (a bit dated) is that there is/was a
policy dimension or gap. Back when Unicode was becoming more widely
adopted, there were new computers marketed in Africa without the then
limited repertoire of fonts with extended Latin. Even when these were
included, there are some instances where it is possible that 8-bit fonts
with extended characters were created on machines that already had one
or two Unicode fonts - evidently unbeknownst to the user. So there was,
and always has been, a public education side to this that none of us in
position or interest to do so have been able to address.

In the background one should bring in the issue of whether computer
science students and IT experts in Africa had any introduction to
Unicode. That could be a big missing piece in the equation.

The case of the Chinese publications using modified 8-bit fonts for both
Hausa boko and Chinese pinyin is a specialized one. Given the small
number of people working on both those languages it may be just the
chance outcome of their not being aware that Unicode already had their
needs covered. A specialized keyboard for production of text including
hooked consonants and tone-marked vowels, plus awareness of Unicode
would probably set them on a new course.

Marcel, I would be very interested to know more about what you are
working on wrt Bambara - perhaps offline.

Don