Joined "ti" coded as "O" in PDF

David Perry hospes02 at scholarsfonts.net
Sat May 7 12:00:31 CDT 2016

I agree that it's a real-world problem -- PDFs really should be
searchable -- but I do not see that it's a Unicode issue.  Unicode
defines the basic building blocks of LATIN SMALL LETTER T and LATIN
SMALL LETTER I; that's its job. Unicode is not responsible for font
construction or creating PDF software.  Furthermore, even if Unicode did
want to do something about it, I can't imagine what that could be --
aside perhaps from using its bully pulpit to urge PDF creators and font
creators to do their jobs better.

The fact that some PDF apps do not search and copy/paste text correctly
when unencoded characters are given PUA values has been known for many
years.  In the case of Calibri, I looked at the font (version installed
on my Win7 system) and found that the 'ti' ligature is named t_i, which
follows good naming practices, and it does not have a PUA assignment.
Given this, any well-constructed PDF app should be able to decode the
ligature correctly.

David