non-breaking snakes

Philippe Verdy verdy_p at wanadoo.fr
Sat May 7 08:05:24 CDT 2016

This is the same thing as:
____________
:::::::::::::::::::::
############
*****************
===========
/////////////////////
---------------------
TTTTTTTTTTT

You can use any characters (punctuation, symbols, even letters) or graphics
aligned in a row to create such fillers But isolately these characters have
their own meaning, independantly of their "snake" usage. The vine symbol is
not special. It also maps to "leaders" dots used in TOCs or input forms.

That's why I suggest that this usage being only a matter of style for
graphically representing (with known fonts and layouts) a "snake", which
may still be represented by a format control where they are authorized for
insertion by line justification, instead of just whitespaces.

Then a stylesheet, specific to a page layout, will do the rest, specifying
the graphics or characters to use for these insertions, without having the
document to specify a specific number of signs. In a plain-text format with
unspecified layout, it should not even be visible.