non-breaking snakes

Marcel Schneider charupdate at orange.fr
Fri May 6 10:21:28 CDT 2016

On Wed, 04 May 2016 07:29:20 -0700, Doug Ewell  wrote:

> 1F40D FE0F
>
> The VS just makes extra, extra sure that it’s emoji.

Hmm… I guess the principle of diversity should then
allow for other long animals too: various caterpillars,
squirrel running on a branch…

More seriously, if animal pictographs are downgraded
to mere line-fillers, Iʼm not sure whether the text style
variation selector U+FE0E would not be a good choice.

Why not tackle it the other way around: standardize
sequences of U+2012..U+2015, U+2E3A with some of
the other ~250 variation selectors to make them look
like extensible vegetal or animal ornaments. Or simply
chain the VSes with repeated U+002D.

If there were a vote, Iʼd prefer word-break in scripts
that allow for, in case justification is really required
(to make a hieratic look); or in scripts that cannot break
words, as Hebrew, using the letter extension mechanisms.

As of letter spacing, abusing it for justifiction purposes
is current in some languages but is not semantically neutral
—TUS recalls—in others that may be very close geographically.
What helps making a proper layout on one side of the Rhine,
is yelling on the other.

So yes, then abusing emoji is the lesser evil   :)

Marcel