Re: Joined "ti" coded as "Ɵ" in PDF

Marcel Schneider charupdate at orange.fr
Thu Mar 17 14:00:54 CDT 2016

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 19:02:19, Pierpaolo Bernardi  wrote:

> unicode says nothing about font technologies

It mentions them a little bit however in the core specifications:

http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode8.0.0/ch23.pdf#G23126

> unicode does not mandate how to encode ligatures

Probably because Unicode specifies that «it is the task of the rendering system» to select ligature glyphs on the basis of characteristic sequences of characters in the text stream.

While having found some of the mentioned oddities in an old PDF file (ffi ligature ending up as Y, ffl ligature as Z), I’m now really puzzled about actual practise.

Marcel