Mende Kikakui Number 10

Philippe Verdy verdy_p at wanadoo.fr
Fri Jun 10 01:52:59 CDT 2016

Given that there's no digit for zero, you need to append combining
characters to digits 1-9 in order to multiply them by a base
10/100/1,000/10,000/100,000/1,000,000. The system is then additive. I don't
know how zero is represented. Note that for base 10, when the first digit
is 1 (i.e. for numbers 11-19), the combining character is not 1E8D1 (TENS)
but 1E8D0 (TEENS), i.e. the slash-like glyph. But the description says that
TEENS is only for numbers 11-19, not for number 10.

But I agree that there should be a reference in
http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U1E800.pdf, to the description in
http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode8.0.0/ch19.pdf (section 19.8, pages
722-723) that would explain how to render 10 (add some rows in table 19-6
for the numbers 10/100/.../1,000,000).

This leaves a hole in the description. I'm not sure that the glyph for PU
is exactly the glyph for 10. Or what is the appropriate sequence:
ONE+TENS (1E8C7,1E8D1) or ONE+TEENS (1E8C7,1E8D0) ? The description is
ambiguous, and probably both sequences should produce the equivalent glyph.
However the letter PU (when meaning number 10) looks more like the glyph
produced by ONE+TEN (1E8C7,1E8D1).

Then how to represent zero ? Probably by a syllable or word meaning "none"
(don't know which it is), or by using European or Arabic digits (as
indicated in Chapter 19).