Garth Wallace gwalla at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 21:22:11 CDT 2016

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 7:26 AM, David Faulks <davidj_faulks at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just a question here.
>
> The Zodiac sign Capricorn has an alternate Glyph/Symbol (see below):
> http://www.capricornzodiacsign.net/capricornsymbol.htm
>
> It is only vaguely similar to the glyph found in the Unicode charts and astrological sites, and sometimes astrological software offers a choice between the two.
>
> Since every font I have checked on my computer, uses a glyph close to the Unicode charts (if they have Zodiac symbols at all), I am thinking that it might be best to propose this as a separate character.
>
> Is this a good idea?

I just saw this alternate glyph pop up on a webpage, not as an image,
so I checked through the fonts on my system. It's apparently used for
U+2651 by the GNU FreeFont family, GNU Unifont, and Chrysanthi
Unicode. Chrysanthi does some odd things in the Miscellaneous Symbols
range but the others are pretty normal. It may just be a version of
the standard symbol with the loop enlarged and the left-hand side
reduced to a small wave or hook.