[Unicode] Re: HENTAIGANA LETTER E-1

Frédéric Grosshans frederic.grosshans at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 06:04:49 CST 2016

Le 13/01/2016 22:39, Garth Wallace a écrit :
> The rationale for U+1B001, AIUI, was that it was used in some modern
> scholarly works about the history of the Japanese language to
> distinguish between/e/  and/je/  before they merged in the modern
> language. I don't know if historically that distinction existed in
> writing.
>
> The character name is normative. But the pronunciation is not, and I
> don't think the Unicode name should be taken to mean that it can only
> be used when a particular pronunciation is intended. Spelling and
> pronunciation are outside of Unicode's scope.

Let us suppose *HENTAIGANA LETTER E-1 is to be unified with �� U+1B001
HIRAGANA LETTER ARCHAIC YE.
An annotation can be added to U+1B001 description to confirm this usage.
If it is not enough, and an official HENTAIGANA name is desired for
consistency, I think it is conceivable to add the following line in
http://www.unicode.org/Public/UCD/latest/ucd/NameAliases.txt

    1B001;HENTAIGANA LETTER E-1;alternate

Frédéric