Unicode password mapping for crypto standard

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Tue Jan 5 10:37:05 CST 2016

On Mon, Jan 04, 2016 at 09:30:32PM -0800,
 Sean Leonard <lists+unicode at seantek.com> wrote
 a message of 120 lines which said:

> how to take the Unicode input and get a consistent and reasonable
> stream of bits out on both ends. For example: should the password be
> case folded, converted to NFKC, encoded in UTF-8 vs. UTF-16BE, etc.?

There is already a standard on that, RFC 7613 "Preparation,
Enforcement, and Comparison of Internationalized Strings Representing
Usernames and Passwords" <http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7613.txt>
and I suggest we use it and do not reinvent the wheel.