Girl, 12, charged for threatening her school with emojis

Leonardo Boiko leoboiko at namakajiri.net
Mon Feb 29 16:37:00 CST 2016

It's a picture-character, sure; but I'd think that, like kaomoji before
them, they've been used since the beginning to express the attitude of the
writer, a kind of "emotion" (in linguistic terms, the "mood" of the
utterance).  For example, consider the ubiquitous ♥ sign, which also
predates cellphone emoji; it's long been used in manga to denote a mood of
flirtatiousness, fondness, cuteness, playfulness and so on. Likewise, the
"veins popping" sign in manga (
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CrossPoppingVeins ) may be a
drawing of veins; but it's used quite abstractly to denote an angry mood,
and can even be used among text, in speech balloons.