a character for an unknown character

Richard Wordingham richard.wordingham at ntlworld.com
Sat Dec 31 03:20:30 CST 2016

On Sat, 31 Dec 2016 02:09:12 +0100 (CET) Marcel Schneider wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Dec 2016 22:17:12 +0000, Richard Wordingham wrote:

> > You obviously haven't read the story's discussion of whether the
> > fithp would honour a peace treaty!

> I havenʼt read nor watched Star Trek (nor Star Wars).

It's in a different universe, restricted to one book, namely Footfall.

I brought up Klingon because it seemed a good place to use U+02BC in
a fictitious alien or foreign language, and there is a lot of Klingon
around. For a lot of these fictitious languages, the realisation used by
English speakers is as a neutral vowel rather than as a glottal stop,
so the case for using U+02BC feels less compelling.

> > I think the general understanding of the difference is very limited.
> > For instance, the English wikipedia article about Klingon says, "The
> > apostrophe, denoting the glottal stop, is considered a letter, not a
> > punctuation mark", and then goes on to encode it as U+2019!

> Iʼm unable to find the quoted sentence in the cited article.

Did you look in the article about Klingon, namely
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klingon_language , or
in the article about Klingons, namely
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klingon ? The quote is from the former.

The English wikipedia 'house style' is given at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Tt-Klingon ; this specifies the
use of U+2019. I should have spotted that yesterday.