On the upcoming LATIN LETTER SMALL CAPITAL Q

Yifán Wáng 747.neutron at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 09:45:07 CST 2016

> These are traditionally set in small-caps, not capitals. If the phonologists
> are getting small-caps into plain text, why not the morphologists? If the
> only argument for Q is that there is an  /ʀ/, why not the full set, and then
> you can write any morphological tag? The chance of confusing "CON" with a
> word is greater than that of /Q/ or [Q], if anything.

Let me tidy it up a bit.

You may be under impression that the letter has something to do with
morphology, but my argument is that the original "Letter for
representation of morpheme in Japanese" is a misnomer and this letter
is totally unrelated to morphological context.

This kind of letters are used to describe phonological representation
of words like /deɴkoʜseQka/ in the same way we describe an English
word /bætəlʃɪp/. The letters are represented in small capital because
they are different from the sound what we usually associate with N, H
or Q. (Actually, their phonetic values vary wildly according to
adjacent phonemes.) You can substitute ordinary upper cases for them,
but they are merely substitution in the same way you type /?/ instead
of /ʔ/, or upside-down G instead of /ŋ/, because of the lack of
typographical assets.

In morphological literature, few authors bother to use these notations
since they don't matter in this level of discussion. The word form I
mentioned above would be just transcribed as "denkōsekka" and glossed
in the next line.

Finally, small capitals in the Leipzig rules, I believe, are just
stylistic alteration. For example, when you write ᴀᴅᴠ (all small
capital), the letters still stand for ordinary A, D and V, for this is
obviously the abbreviation of "adverb". It's more like the whole
sequence ADV made shrunken in "small caps" mode or style, which is a
parallel operation to italicization or boldification. Since the
semantic difference is not inherent to the character itself, I don't
think Unicode people would treat them as another set of letters in
this case.