On the upcoming LATIN LETTER SMALL CAPITAL Q

Yifán Wáng 747.neutron at gmail.com
Sun Dec 25 23:27:42 CST 2016

> Agreed with Yifán Wáng... But I wonder about the need for the character in
> the first place. Are we going to add a full small-caps set, too, given its
> use in morphological glosses? Isn't it enough to use a regular 'Q' in
> plain-text, and style to small caps in rich text?

No, it's not in "morphological glosses" but phonological notations
such as /yuQkuri/. In morphological discussions, phonological details
are usually ignored and they just write down the surface forms.

> I can see the rationale for mathematical bold, given that a regular-weight
> plain-text character would stand for a different thing in mathematical
> formulæ. But there's no way a capital Q would ever be confused as anything
> other than the phoneme, in a Japanese phonological transcription.

I don't think Q is, but it should be in unison with its fellows /ɴ/,
/ʀ/, /ʜ/ etc. Some books make all of them capitals, but others all
small capitals.
Making into small capitals avoids possible confusions with variables
like /C/ or /V/.