Should unassigned code points in blocks reserved for combining marks, etc be GCB extended?

Philippe Verdy verdy_p at wanadoo.fr
Mon Dec 12 16:25:48 CST 2016

I agree. The remaining slots could be very well allocated for some
notational "superscript" (spacing) marks, more or less formed on ligatures
without being really "extenders" for graphemes as they could as well be
used isolately (I can think about special marks that could be used for
measurement units, or some currencies, or honorific marks, or some
localized variants of symbols like "trademark" or "registered", or some
localized "ampersand" or similar, or some symbol for meaning "birth/death"
after or before a date, or simply the encoding of superscript digits for
Western Arabic or Eastern Arabic for Persian/Urdu, which won't be
"extenders" for any grapheme but used isolately).

The only useful default property is the assignment of a range for strong
RTL letters/digits/punctuation/symbols, because of the complexity and
stability of BiDi algorithms and the security issues and that are related
to them, and difficulties for the UI. On the opposite each assigned block
can contain smaller subranges (sometimes smaller than a full column) for
combining marks, which are spread at various positions (but without huge
complexiuty for handling them in algorithms like normalizations, even if
they are necessarily stabilized: the default combining class for all
unencoded characters is simply 0, blocking any Bidi reordering that would
break later encoded documents using the newly assigned code points:
normalization will apply only to reoder or recombine them only when these
codes will be assigned to known characters with a known possibly non-zero
combining class, but past versions of normalizers will keep them unchanged,
preserving at least the canonical equivalences).