ZWJ sequences in UTR #51 v4

Mark Davis ☕️ mark at macchiato.com
Sun Aug 21 10:27:20 CDT 2016

There have been discussions of how an "unmarked" (neutral, ungendered) form
could be represented. Here are just some thoughts.

There are currently three types of gender representation.

   1. Intrinsic (eg, FATHER CHRISTMAS)
   2. <MAN/WOMAN>+ZWJ+<REPRESENTATIVE-OBJECT> (eg, male vs female health
   worker)
   3. <PERSON-ROLE>+ZWJ+<MALE/FEMALE SIGN> (eg, woman running vs man
   running; female vs male police officer)

For #1, it might be possible to use ⚲ U+26B2 NEUTER (a character similar to
<MALE/FEMALE SIGN>) in a zwj sequence to indicate a neutral form. Where we
have paired forms, there'd need to be a consistent principle as to which to
use.
For #2, as Christoph points out, one could use a neutral base: a smiley, or
perhaps a Unicode 10.0 ADULT emoji.
For #3, the simplest mechanism would probably be to have the unmarked form
be a neutral image. But for backwards compatibility, some might want to
have a specific marker, eg ⚲ U+26B2 NEUTER.

However, any proposal needs to be fully fleshed out, and have a
representative range of clear examples of how graphic designs for the
neutral characters would work. That is, they need to be clearly interpreted
as non-gendered, even at small sizes: an average person, when shown the
design in isolation, would say that the person depicted is of neither or
either gender.

That's easy to do with smiley-styles, but surprising difficult to achieve
with the realistic styles that are used for the other people emoji.

Mark