[somewhat off topic] straw poll

Otto Stolz otto.stolz at uni-konstanz.de
Sat Sep 12 06:21:22 CDT 2015

Am 10. September 2015 um 20:04 h schrieb Peter Constable:
> […] creating a Web page containing (say) some Latin characters
> - not obscure,  […]  to use (say) Notepad and entering HTML
> numeric character references; and that my findings were that
> it worked.

> Q1: Would you find that to be an interesting post […]

A1: No, because the scenario given is about a standard technique
that every list participant is supposed to be aware of.

I’d simply ignore a message of this type. If, however, a message
were asking a question on this technique, I’d probably sent the
author a short reply pointing to the pertinent FAQ entry, or
HTML tutorial.

> Q2: If I were to send messages along that line on a regular basis,
> would that add value to your participation in the list, or reduce it?

A2: Neither.

If a particular author became notorious of this sort of contributions,
I’d start to ignore his messages, altogether. If his messages would
develop into a nuisance, I’d add him to the filter rules of my e-mail
client.

> Q3: If 50 people (still a small portion of the list membership)
> were to send messages along that line on a regular basis, would
> that add value to your participation in the list, or reduce it?

A3: All of them would not start doing so at the same time, wouldn’t
they? Hence, A2 would apply, on a per-case basis, without much ado.

Best wishes,
   Otto