Proposals for Arabic honorifics

Naz Gassiep naz at gassiep.com
Mon Oct 5 02:39:23 CDT 2015

Hi all,
We are considering writing a proposal for Arabic honorifics which are
missing from Unicode. There are already a few in there, notably U+FDFA
and U+FDFB.

There are two existing proposals, L2/14-147 and L2/14-152, which each
propose additions. L2/14-147 proposes seventeen new characters and
L2/14-152 proposes a further two.

There are a few other characters that are not included in these
proposals, and I was considering preparing a proposal of my own. I will
work with a team of people who are willing to contribute time to this
work. We are considering two options:

1. Prepare an additional proposal for the characters that were missing
from the existing spec and also from the two proposals mentioned above.
2. Prepare a collating proposal which rolls the two proposals as well as
the others that we feel are missing into a single proposal.

Currently, we favour the second option. We would ensure that full
descriptions, names, character properties, and detailed examples are
provided for each character to substantiate its use in modern plain
text. We would also suggest code points in line with the existing
proposal L2/14-147.

We don't want to step on the toes of the original submitters, Roozbeh
Pournader or Lateef Sagar Shaikh. We wish to be clear that we will draw
on their existing proposals to the maximum extent possible to ensure
that we do not submit a conflicting proposal, but a superset proposal
that incorporates their proposals as well as the additional characters
we have identified. We have evaluated these two, and a true superset
proposal is possible such that no conflicts between either those two
proposals or our own will materialize.

Are there any issues that we may face in preparing and submitting our
proposal?
Any guidance from this mailing list would be highly valued.
Many thanks,
- Naz.