Unicode in passwords

Marc Durdin marc at keyman.com
Thu Oct 1 00:19:35 CDT 2015

That’s a good list. A few other things I’ve seen:

1.       Even if the user sees the character for an instant, complex script characters can be very puzzling as they appear differently and “out of order” when isolated.

2.       The number of dots corresponds to the number of code points, which is misleading with complex scripts or advanced input methods: you won’t necessarily see one dot per keystroke; in some cases, typing a character may replace a dot with another dot or even delete a dot.

3.       Directionality can be frustrating.

I’ve had to assist in situations where a user has set a new Windows password using a custom keyboard, and then been unable to login, e.g. with Remote Desktop, or even with the standard Windows login screen.

iOS, for example, doesn’t even allow the user to select a different input method for password boxes – it seems to always be Latin script only (even if you’ve removed all your Latin script keyboards from Settings).

Marc