Encoding map symbols (was: Re: "Bunny hill" symbol...)

Shervin Afshar shervinafshar at gmail.com
Thu May 28 17:21:41 CDT 2015

Sufficiency of conditions for encoding is decided on a case by case basis
by the UTC. According to the existing criteria for encoding symbols, being
a symbol used in maps and map legends contributes to multiple of criteria
items on that document and strengthens the case for acceptance.

May be all symbols used in physical maps in the world *could* be encoded if
there is a strong, compelling case presentable for them to be used in text
environments. Correlation of them not being encoded so far and them being
widespreadly used on maps and map legend does not mean any causation that
one can not provide a strong case for encoding them.

Personally speaking, I'm currently researching for a proposal for encoding
of some of the USGS symbols as well as some other general map symbols.

↪ Shervin