Tag characters

Philippe Verdy verdy_p at wanadoo.fr
Tue May 19 07:57:58 CDT 2015

> There is a difference between EU and UN; the former is in BCP47. That
> being said, we could look at making the exceptionally reserved codes valid
> for this purpose (or at least the UN code). It appears that there are only
> 3 exceptionally reserved codes that aren't in BCP47: EZ, UK, UN.

There are also reserved codes for WIPO areas; there are special codes
requested by ITU and UPU or not removed from ISO3166 also on their demand
for maintaining their own standards (may be there will be other codes
requested by IATA and OACI or some international railways organisation, or
maritime organisation for oceans in the "international waters"). Thanks for
now we don't have to handle specific "region" code for the Moon or
"divisions" of the solar system, or even for some groups of orbital
airspace over the Earth (from stratospheric to geostationnary), as for now
they are still considered international (and country laws only apply to
individual equipements or when they have to fall back to ground or
preferably oceans)...
We could as well imagine other regions like poles, or hemispheres, or 1
hour (15°) bands of  longitude (excluding polar areas within
arctic/antarctic circle or within the +/-85°circle, commonly used in
geography for showing maps with Mercator projections)
There are various standards that define codes for their regions; some of
them have political importances, and some have specific localized data
associated to them and for which there must not exist collisions with
existing or future ISO3166-1 country codes. For such applications however
aplpications should use the concept of "namespace" to qualify each code
source (ISO3166 being just one of them, IETF being another one, the local
application using another namespace if needed for its regions; the same
remark also applies if there's need of private codes for "pseudo-languages"
or "pseudo-language-variants" or "pseudo-scripts"), and with the mechanism
of namespaces you could even track versions (like it is used in XMLNS)