[OT] RE: Flag tags with U+1F3F3 and subtypes

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Mon May 18 17:50:50 CDT 2015

This is why I knew I would regret it.

Clearing up some errors here. No more posts from me on this non-Unicode
topic after this one.

Philippe Verdy <verdy underscore p at wanadoo dot fr> wrote:

>> This would be a major revision to BCP 47, it would have nothing to do
>> with reordering,
>
> It woiuld have to do because all subtags after the pricmary language
> subtag in BCP47 are optional, and you can distincguish them only by
> their length *or* by the role assigned to specific singletons: there's
> already the "x" singleton exception (that is ordered at end), but
> other singletons are currently described to use a canonical order but
> it is used only for encoding variants unrelated to region subtags or
> even to the languages.

All non-initial singletons introduce an extension, except for 'x' which
introduces a private-use sequence, and which must be last.

Even if an extension were defined to hold top-level region information,
WHICH WILL NEVER HAPPEN, it would not matter whether that extension
appeared before or after other extensions, because it would be an
extension and not a region subtag.

> but fow we just have "i-", deprecated but still valid,

"i-" is not deprecated.

> for all other letters there's no parsing defined for now, their syntax
> is unknown and they are not interchangeable without a standard, so
> they are used only for private use

Extension 't' was defined in 2011 and 'u' in 2010. They have
well-defined syntax, specified in RFC 6497 and 6067 respectively.

Undefined singletons may not be used for private use.

> some BCP47 use an empty first subtag, i.e. the tag starts by an
> hyphen;

Absolutely, utterly false.

--
Doug Ewell | http://ewellic.org | Thornton, CO ����