Flag tags with U+1F3F3 and subtypes

Richard Wordingham richard.wordingham at ntlworld.com
Mon May 18 14:33:37 CDT 2015

On Mon, 18 May 2015 19:37:06 +0100
Andrew West <andrewcwest at gmail.com> wrote:

> > <1F3F3 E0047 E0042 E002D E004E E004C E004B> (GB-NLK)
> > for the North Lanarkshire council area flag
>
> I don't believe that North Lanarkshire has an associated flag, which I
> think is the case for most UK counties and councils (Cornwall, Devon
> and Dorset all have flags, but they may be the exceptions).  In fact
> not all of the four nations comprising the UK have a flag -- for
> political reasons there is no official flag for Northern Ireland, so I
> do not know what an implementation would display for <1F3F3 E0047
> E0042 E002D E004E E0049 E0052> (GB-NIR), perhaps just a plain flag
> emblazoned with "GB-NIR".

As the Ulster Banner is still in use, and still does unofficially
represent Northern Ireland, perhaps it should have its own codepoint.

I'm not sure of the strength of the argument for St Patrick's Cross.
Perhaps it too should have its own codepoint, especially if it is
evolving from being a flag of Ireland (apparently not used by the Irish
rugby union team) to a flag of Northern Ireland.