Tag characters

Mark Davis ☕️ mark at macchiato.com
Fri May 15 19:18:56 CDT 2015

The consortium is in no position to enhance protocols *itself* for
exchanging images. That's firmly in other groups' hands. We can try to
noodge them a bit, but what *will* make a difference is when the *vendors*
of sticker solutions put pressure on the different groups responsible for
the protocols to provide interoperability for images. Because there is a
lot of growth in sticker solutions, I would expect there to be more such
pressure. And even so, I expect it will take those some time to be deployed.

We've said what our longer-term position is, and I think we all pretty much
agree with that; exchanging images is much more flexible. However, we do
have strong short-term pressure to show that we are responsive and
responsible in adding emoji. And our adding a reasonable number of emoji
per year is not going to stop Line or Skype from adding stickers!

There are a few possible scenarios, and it's hard to predict the results.
It could be that emoji are largely supplanted by stickers in 5 years; could
be 10; could be that they both coexist indefinitely. I have no ��, and
neither does anyone else...

Mark <https://google.com/+MarkDavis>

*— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —*