NamesList, Code Charts, ISO/IEC 10646

Asmus Freytag (t) asmus-inc at ix.netcom.com
Mon May 4 10:32:46 CDT 2015

On 5/4/2015 6:47 AM, Richard Wordingham wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 10:31:47 -0700
> "Asmus Freytag (t)" <asmus-inc at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
>> But permit me to ask one question up front. What would be served by
>> making such a sweeping change at this juncture, after 25 years of
>> established practice?
> I suspect the idea is to have a way of unobtrusively supplying the
> Bidi_Mirrored value in a character pick-list, namely the use of the
> words 'OPENING' and 'CLOSING' rather than 'LEFT' and 'RIGHT'.

Reading this discussion, I sometimes wonder whether people have ever
heard of character properties? They were invented, because it proved
impossible (infeasible?) to cram all the useful information about a
character into its name. If you look in the Unicode Character Database,
you'll find a lot of useful properties, among them, the information on
which bracket characters are paired, and which one is the
opening/closing one in the pair.
>   As I dimly recall the use of ']a, b[' to denote an open interval, the
> proposed solution is not complete, but the complete solution is not
> obvious to me.

Right. There are many conventions for the use of characters. The period
is another example of a character used for many purposes...

No way to pack all the information into the name, and even character
properties aren't covering all of them.

> I for one don't want to have to choose a non-English
> locale to type right-to-left text.
Non-sequitur?

A./