Why doesn't Ideographic (ID) in UAX#14 have half-width katakana?

Asmus Freytag (t) asmus-inc at ix.netcom.com
Fri May 1 09:47:38 CDT 2015

On 5/1/2015 7:17 AM, Ken Whistler wrote:

> Koji,
>
> Personally, I don't have a horse in this race, because I am not
> responsible for
> any linebreaking implementation -- so a change for halfwidth katakana
> wouldn't
> matter one way or the other to me.
>
> Secondly, there is no formal stability guarantee constraining
> Line_Break property
> values (other than the generic guarantee that the property itself or
> existing aliases cannot be *removed* from the standard). Nor is there
> any stability guarantee regarding the rest of the algorithm definition
> in UAX #14.
> So in principle, the UTC could rewrite it completely. But I doubt that
> that would
> be in anybody's interest at this point. ;-)
>
> But as I see it, the way this should work is for the major
> stakeholders who *do*
> have implemented linebreaking algorithms depending on UAX #14 working
> in released products (and that would include people speaking for various
> browsers and for Apple products in general, I think) should be the ones
> either pushing for a change, because it would make their behavior more
> correct
> and acceptable for Japanese, or pushing back *against* a change,
> because they
> depend on UAX #14 stability and would prefer tweaking the behavior in
> their
> implementations, instead. So I'd like to see a formal proposal for a
> change
> (specified *exactly* as to the set of characters affected) brought to
> the UTC,
> where implementers and users of ICU could make the case for or against.

I would go further and suggest that UTC make no change until it has
positively heard from a representative sample of users/implementers.

This kind of seemingly innocuous change does affect implementations but
implementers are usually not expecting to have the ground shift under
them after a decade or more of stable property assignments. Silence on
their part may just as likely be the result of failing to appreciate the
possibility of adverse outcome than of actual acquiescence.

To the degree that the CSS working group relies on UAX#14 as default in
some/any situations, it would be imperative to hear from them as well,
before taking any action.

In principle, this should be the stated procedure by the UTC when making
any change in long-standing property assignments -- particularly for
widely deployed scripts.

That said, with proper buy-in from stakeholders, I see no objection to
making a change.

A./