preliminary proposal: New Unicode characters for Arabic music half-flat and half-sharp

Asmus Freytag (t) asmus-inc at ix.netcom.com
Sun Mar 29 17:47:59 CDT 2015

On 3/29/2015 2:39 PM, Michael Everson wrote:
> On 29 Mar 2015, at 22:02, Garth Wallace <gwalla at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Wouldn't it be easier just to change the example glyphs for U+1D132 MUSICAL SYMBOL QUARTER TONE SHARP and U+1D133 MUSICAL SYMBOL QUARTER TONE FLAT? The ones currently in the charts do not appear to be in common use.
> It would be better to let the symbols be used as intended to be drawn. Documenting such widely varied “glyph variation” would not end up serving the user community, I think.

Glyph variations are fine as long as there is
a) never a contrasting usage in the same context
b) a common practice of alternating presentations w/o change of meaning
c) a common understanding that the details of presentation are stylistic

In this case, one or more of these conditions appear not to be met.

A./