Plain text (from Re: Avoidance variants)

Asmus Freytag (t) asmus-inc at ix.netcom.com
Fri Mar 27 11:25:42 CDT 2015

On 3/27/2015 6:00 AM, William_J_G Overington wrote:

> So, if that were implemented, then to typeset, say, the word astrolabe
> within a plain text file, in italics, one would need to use nine
> instances of the COMBINING ITALICIZER, one instance after each letter
> of the word astrolabe.
>
> That would be fine and the characters discussed would be, in my
> opinion, two useful additions to Unicode.

Just because you seem not to get this, those would not only be useless,
they would lead to dual encoding a problem that needs to be avoided, not
added to.

With the Math Alphanumerics, Unicode decided not to use the combining
mark approach, but to encode individual characters in their italic/bold
shapes, for use when isolated letters need to have that appearance as
part of technical notations.

In adoption that solution, nearly fifteen years ago, Unicode effectively
set a precedent against the kind of character you re proposing.

As you apparently find it difficult to understand this, let me spell it
out for you: any proposal for  adding these kind of characters is dead
on arrival.

A./