Plain text (from Re: Avoidance variants)

Mark E. Shoulson mark at kli.org
Thu Mar 26 18:27:25 CDT 2015

On 03/26/2015 11:18 AM, William_J_G Overington wrote:
> > Blocks of boring plain text, no italics or effects any more complex
> than justification, simple notes written all in one font with no
> formatting to speak of etc.
>

> I am wondering if it is considered a good idea to define into Plane 14
> some formatting characters, so that plain text could in the future
> contain italics and so on.

And we could define "plain water" to include sugar and flavorings, and
have Coke run out of our taps.  But that isn't "plain water" anymore.
And yes, we DO allow some additives in water and still call it "plain",
even as we do have some formatting characters in Unicode and call it
plain text (e.g. tab, formfeed, ZWJ, RLO, PDF, etc)

Alternatively, you could say we already have such things encodable as
plain text, using character sequences, like U+003C U+0069 U+003E to
indicate "BEGIN ITALICS", etc...  Just need the right reader...

~mark