Avoidance variants

Mark E. Shoulson mark at kli.org
Thu Mar 26 18:20:18 CDT 2015

On 03/26/2015 01:14 AM, Jonathan Rosenne wrote:

> “It's still a HEH, it just looks like another letter, right?” Wrong.
> It’s a QOF. Just like the p in receipt is a p. Unicode should not
> concern itself with the reasons words are spelt the way they are spelt.

Good enough point.  And I suppose when people were setting the type,
they weren't thinking "this is a HEH, I'm just putting a QOF there";
they were reaching for the QOF box.  And all the text online also
supports this point of view.

I guess I was just tinkering with some Hebrew fonts and experimenting
with making these kinds of "variants" so that the same text could, say,
be printed both "formally" and "informally".  But that really makes more
sense as Stylistic Alternates or something, not encoded.

~mark