Origin of the digital encoding of accented characters for Esperanto

David Starner prosfilaes at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 21:01:32 CDT 2015

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 8:35 AM, William_J_G Overington
<wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com> wrote:
> It does not seem axiomatic that accented characters for Esperanto would
> necessarily be included in a digital encoding of the accented characters
> needed for the languages of Europe.

Where does languages of Europe come from? Latin Extended-A is not
designed to exclusively cover Europe, and both ISO 8859-3 and
Extended-A cover Turkish. The largest Esperanto libraries have about
25,000 books, and there's a large collection of people wanting to use
Esperanto on the Internet; moreover, the encoding decision is trivial,
being a simple and uncontested set of twelve codepoints.

Of all the Latin script characters not encoded in Unicode 1.1, I doubt
any of them have 1% the use of the Esperanto characters. Not encoding
them upfront would have been silly.

--
Kie ekzistas vivo, ekzistas espero.