UDHR in Unicode: 400 translations in text form!

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Mon Jun 29 09:58:00 CDT 2015

Eric Muller <eric dot muller at efele dot net> wrote:

> I am pleased to announce that the UDHR in Unicode project
> (http://unicode.org/udhr) has reached a notable milestone: we now have
> 400 translations of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights in text
> form.

I'd like to congratulate Eric and his contributors for this achievement.
It's a large and complex project, at least 9 years in the making.

I use this data (with attribution) in my BCP 47 language-tagging
application, to display Article I of the UDHR as sample text in the
language denoted by a user-created tag. The extensive language coverage
of the UDHR data and its correlation to BCP 47 tags via the XML index
are especially helpful.

With the complexity of this project, including trying to associate
constructed languages with geographical locations and relying on
third-party data that may be conflicting or simply wrong, there's bound
to be room for improvement. I'm sure the issues reported on this list
will be ironed out over time, and in the meantime I hope Eric's
announcement encourages even more contributors and translations as well
as bug reports.

--
Doug Ewell | http://ewellic.org | Thornton, CO ����