Adding RAINBOW FLAG to Unicode

gfb hjjhjh c933103 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 02:43:14 CDT 2015

2015年6月28日 上午11:49於 "Philippe Verdy" <verdy_p at wanadoo.fr>寫道:

>> Noah Slater <nslater at tumbolia dot org> wrote:
>>
>>> I found this:

>>> http://www.unicode.org/alloc/nonapprovals.html
>>

>> I think the phrase "or otherwise" above might have been intended to mean
"or otherwise."

> But this statement of early 2013 was contradicted by the addition of
hundreds of new national flags (only because a few national flags were part
of some Japanese emojis sets, and it was not admissible to have just a
handlful of countries with flags but not all others).

Wouldn't the existence of Regional Indicator Symbols(=those flag symbols)
themselves avoided the need of adding new regional/national/international
flags already? and the 2013 addition do not add flag themselves to the
unicode, just some special form of letters that can be used to form flags.

>>> I looked up the minutes, but could not find a more detailed
>>> explanation. My guess is that these concerns related to geopolitical
>>> issues. Hopefully the same rationale does not apply to the rainbow
>>> flag.
>>

>> My guess is that one reason certain rejected requests are added to the
Archive of Notices of Non-Approval is so that the UTC doesn't have to haul
out their original explanation or re-argue the same points when the same
request, or a similar one, is made again.

> As soon as Unicode accepted the Japanese emojis sets promoted by its
local telcos, including the few national flags the argument was dead. In
fact there are also lot of redundant emojis from these sets that were
accepted or were just minor variants of other existing Dings already
encoded. Now we see an explosion of emojis, but less efforts for historic
scripts found in our museums and libraries.

> The reason being that popular demand won (e.g. look at the
Japanese-specific symbol for newbie: a yellow & blue open book: for most
others looking at the symbol it will look just like a bicolor tick vertical
arrow and will wonder why it is restricted to those colors which are not
even part of the name; others will wonder why they can't just have a
neutral symbol for an open book, when we have an open envelope, or why
there's no incription on this book, i.e. just 2 blank pages or covers
without any title).

> Many emojis are in fact either very centered to Japanese or US culture,
including in their descriptions (this is notable on topics about cooking,
beverages, animals, buildings, road signals, vehicles, equipements not much
used in other places, imaginary characters/creatures...). The historic
origin of cultures is almost ignored around the Mediterrean Sea between
Europe, Western Asia and Africa, even if these topics are also existing
everywhere else and probably more universal (but just less used).