Adding RAINBOW FLAG to Unicode

Philippe Verdy verdy_p at wanadoo.fr
Sat Jun 27 14:29:32 CDT 2015

A zero-width joiner between two spacing symbols does not mean that they
should overlap completely, even if it allows some limtied form of ligature
(but mostly for true letters or letter like symbols, such as between a long
dash and an arrow head to connect them together in a long arrow...)
Your idea would mean that the oiner changes the width of the rainbow to
zero, using in fact a negative placement to overlap the flag, and then
cutting the rainbox exactly to its dimension.

Also the rainbow symbol alone U+1F308 is more like the one in the sky: it
is circular, and has a central uncolored area.
But the flag is means to be fully covered (not like the Jewish autonomous
republic in Russia) and should be using parallel horizontal bands.
If it is encoded the flag will become certainly part of the emoji set (it
certainly has support for it in instant messaging, soon many apps for
mobile phones will feature it in US, Google will include it as well for
Android and Hangouts applications, Apple for iOS. And various IRC tools.

Mobile phone providers will include it even if on such LGBT topic the
Japanese manufacturers were more "discrete" (there's still a social taboo
even if there's some level of acceptation). It is already sent via MMS only
as bitmap icons, but users will want to pay less to send them using SMS, or
to send them in Twitter.