WORD JOINER vs ZWNBSP

Marcel Schneider charupdate at orange.fr
Fri Jun 26 09:44:44 CDT 2015

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015, Eric Muller  wrote:

> On 6/26/2015 3:48 AM, Marcel Schneider wrote:
>> To do traditional French typography on the PC,
> or anywhere

You want to say, on any computer.

>> a justifying no-break space is needed along with the colon, because this punctuation must be placed in the middle between the word it belongs to and the following word.
> Actually, it's non-justifying and it's thin. U+202F ‘ ’ NARROW NO-BREAK SPACE is your friend.

U+202F is a very good friend of mine, and it's a part of ready sequences with all spaced French punctuations (;:?!«») I program for the keyboard driver, as well as with U+00A0 for use with monospaced fonts (or following user preferences, since word processors got habits with NBSP). That are things everybody knows.

Right now, I'm talking about *traditional French typography* on a computer. And I'm talking about the *colon*. As you can read in old style manuals and as I know from more recent sources and from authoritative examples, things must work just as I wrote a couple of hours ago. Love it or hate it, you should provide the facility.

Thank you for the advice.

Regards,
Marcel Schneider