Another take on the English apostrophe in Unicode

Mark Davis ☕️ mark at macchiato.com
Sat Jun 13 10:27:31 CDT 2015

On Sat, Jun 13, 2015 at 5:10 PM, Peter Constable <petercon at microsoft.com>
wrote:

> When it comes to orthography, the notion of what comprise words of a
> language is generally pure convention. That’s because there isn’t any
> single *_linguistic_ *definition of word that gives the same answer when
> phonological vs. morphological or syntactic criteria are applied. There are
> book-length works on just this topic, such as this:

​In particular, I see no need to change our recommendation on the character
used in contractions for English and many other languages (U+2019).
Similarly, we wouldn't recommend use of anything but the colon for marking
abbreviations in Swedish, or propose a new MODIFIER LETTER ELLIPSIS for
​"supercali...docious".

(IMO, U+02BC was probably just a mistake; the minor benefit is not worth
the confusion.)

Mark <https://google.com/+MarkDavis>

*— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —*