Another take on the English Apostrophe in Unicode

Marcel Schneider charupdate at orange.fr
Sat Jun 13 09:21:14 CDT 2015

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 2:38 PM, Markus Scherer  wrote:

> How are normal users supposed to
> find both U+2019 and U+02BC on their keyboards,

Yes this may be the main issue, how to get at hand U+20BC, U+2019 and U+2018 as well, plus the actual U+0027, on keyboards that are derived from typewriters’ ones. Word processors are overasked with management of all four, while many users whish to stay typing ‘apostrophe’ for all of them. And not to change for another keyboard driver(?).

A free tool, the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator, allows every user to add U+02BC on his preferred keyboard layout, for example in the deadlist of apostrophe on the US International keyboard, a layout where U+2019 is already found, along with U+2018. You may choose a double stroke on Apostrophe to generate the modifier letter. But as this layout obviously is not so useful, you’ll prefer to get them on the US Standard layout, or depending on where you live, on the UK standard or extended or any other layout.

A more achieved solution is obtained with the Windows Driver Kit, a free development kit which allows to implement a Kana toggle, to toggle Apostrophe on the US Standard keyboard between U+0027 and U+02BC *or* U+2019. The least used among all three will be put into the deadlist, when adding one dead key on this layout, say Grave. Then, [Grave] [Apostrophe] will result in the missing apostrophe character.

> how are they supposed to deal with incorrect usage?

If the document is already incorrect, there will be nothing to do IMHO than check them one by one. Theoretically, word processors could integrate an exhaustive checking algorithm with an exhaustive dictionary. Which such a tool, there would be no “Apostrophe Catastrophe” as it has been called:

> http://www.newrepublic.com/article/113101/smart-quotes-are-killing-apostrophe

> (found by a search engine).

So, on actual keyboard layouts, avoiding the Apostrophe Catastrophe
would then have been unfeasible—the like as with actual consumption
habits, avoiding a number of other catastrophes is unfeasible as well...

Nevertheless, this morning I opened once more the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator. Ten minutes later I got the finished complete package of the US American keyboard layout with U+02BC MODIFIER LETTER APOSTROPHE and all English quotation marks in one dead key on ‘Grave’, that is key number E00 (ISO/IEC 9995-1). The same way I made up the keyboard layout for the United Kingdom, which uses AltGr, so the apostrophe and all quotes are also on AltGr. Ten minutes, again.

If you don’t use the grave accent (or AltGr), there is strictly no change on these keyboard layouts, because I loaded the original Windows US and UK layouts into the MSKLC. If you use the grave accent, you must type a whitespace after hitting the grave key to get the grave accent (in conformance to the standard behavior of dead keys).
– To get the modifier letter apostrophe, type ‘grave’ - ‘apostrophe’.
– To get the first level quotation marks (UK: single quotes; US: double quotes), type ‘grave’ followed by a square bracket, opening or closing (left or right).
– To get the nested quotation marks (UK: double quotes; US: single quotes), type ‘grave’ followed by whether ‘9’ or ‘0’, that is, the key where you have the opening or closing parenthesis.

For United Kingdom only:
Additionally to the above, you may type also the following:
– To get the modifier letter apostrophe, type AltGr + ‘apostrophe’.
– To get the single quotation marks, type AltGr + a square bracket, opening or closing (left or right).
– To get the double quotation marks, type AltGr + ‘9’ or AltGr + ‘0’.

These MSKLC-generated keyboard drivers can be used on

> all Windows versions (from NT 4.0 upwards) and

> all system architectures (32 bit and 64 bit).

In the documentation of the MSKLC, Microsoft writes:
“On Vista [and later], the keyboard layout will automatically be added to the language bar on install and removed on uninstall.”

> You may define a shortcut to switch, add a nice icon in the language bar / Task bar, or set it as default.

They are named ‘kbdenukw’ and ‘kbdenusw’. ‘w’ stands for ‘Wholesome’.

This is completely free and unlicensed software.

It can be downloaded from now on at the following short URLs:
kbdenukw: http://bit.ly/1QVeby6
kbdenusw: http://bit.ly/1MRxGab

However, this being the 1.0 version, and the goal was to be fast, I forgot the En and Em dashes, and that I would add U+00B1, U+2260, U+00A0... If there will be a number of downloads, a 2.0 version could follow and be announced here.

To get the MODIFIER LETTER APOSTROPHE ready on the apostrophe key like today the close-quote as smart apostrophe, you must disable the smart quotes in your word processor, and then add an autocorrect to convert U+0027 to U+02BC. If your word processor allows you to set apart the smart single and double quotes, you may enable the double quotes.

I hope that helps.

Marcel Schneider