Tag characters and in-line graphics (from Tag characters)

David Starner prosfilaes at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 19:59:21 CDT 2015

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 5:46 PM Chris <idou747 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I personally think emoji should have one, single definitive representation
> for this exact reason.

Then you want an image. I don't see what's hard about that.

> The community interested in tony the tiger can make decisions like that.

That is a hell of a handwave. In practice, you've got a complex decision
that's always going to be a bit controversial, and one a decision that most
communities won't bother trying to make.

> You can’t know because they’re images.

You can't know because the only obvious equivalence relation is exact image
identity.

You can’t iterate over compressed bits. You can’t process them.

Why not? In any language I know of that has iterators, there would be no
problem writing one that iterates over compressed input. If you need to
mutate them, that is hard in compressed formats, but a new CPU can store
War in Peace in the on-CPU cache.