Fwd: Olympic sports emoji

Garth Wallace gwalla at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 00:55:09 CDT 2015

(sorry, meant to send this to the list)

On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 3:12 PM, Doug Ewell <doug at ewellic.org> wrote:
> Leo Broukhis <leob at mailcom dot com> wrote:
>
>> Fonts vary and can be copyrighted, no doubt, but Unicode is not about
>> fonts.
>
> I was going to bust out the Apple logo as an analogy to the Olympic
> symbols, but apparently the Apple logo is trademarked and not merely
> copyrighted, so never mind.
>
> In any case, if this is just a character/glyph thing, then there
> shouldn't be a problem using either the existing emoji or the ones
> proposed in L2/15-196R for Olympic sports, since the glyphs can simply
> be styled as needed.

Would this be considered within the normal range of glyphic variation?
Would an icon of two pugilists fighting be an acceptable rendering of
a BOXING GLOVE emoji?

BTW, speaking as a martial artist myself, I have to say an empty dogi
is an odd representation for martial arts, even specifically Japanese
ones. The proposal says that it could be used for judo, karate, and
tae kwon do; it at least matches the first two (they are distinct, but
not in a way that would , and practice uniforms for TKD are similar,
but competitive TKD under WTF rules (including Olympic competition)
uses several pieces of protective equipment (helmet, gloves, chest
guard) with colored padding over the dobok.