Olympic sports emoji

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Mon Jul 27 15:10:06 CDT 2015

Garth Wallace <gwalla at gmail dot com> wrote:

> I read this proposal [L2/15-196R] and was a little confused. Why
> aren't they proposing the actual sports pictograms that are in use for
> international events like the Olympics? Those are generally stylized
> human figures shown engaging in sports, but the suggested symbols in
> this proposal seem to mostly be pictures of sports equipment. It seems
> like reinventing the wheel. Are the Olympic-style pictograms not felt
> to be sufficiently emoji-like?

The official Summer Olympics pictograms change each time the Games are
held:

http://www.olympic.org/Assets/OSC%20Section/pdf/QR_sports_pictograms_of_the_olympic_summer_games_1964_2016.pdf

Although the symbols introduced for the 1972 Munich Games were
particularly influential and are often thought to be canonical, these
symbols have been styled quite differently since 1992.

Additionally, the images are copyrighted, for the most part by the
International Olympic Committee (see page 2 of the PDF document).

--
Doug Ewell | http://ewellic.org | Thornton, CO ����