Emoji characters for food allergens

Marcel Schneider charupdate at orange.fr
Mon Jul 27 12:45:39 CDT 2015

On 26 Jul 2015 at 07:14, Garth Wallace  wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 25, 2015 at 9:43 AM, William_J_G Overington
>  wrote:
> > Emoji characters for food allergens
> >
> > An interesting document entitled
> >
> > Preliminary proposal to add emoji characters for food allergens
> >
> > by Hiroyuki Komatsu
> >
> > was added into the UTC (Unicode Technical Committee) Document Register
> > yesterday.
> >
> > http://www.unicode.org/L2/L2015/15197-emoji-food-allergens.pdf
> >
> > This is a welcome development.
>
> I'm skeptical. I understand the rationale, but several of the proposed
> characters are essentially SMALL PILE OF BROWN DOTS and would be
> difficult to distinguish at typical sizes.

Only two, buckwheat and sesame. As disclaimed, none is final. For buckwheat we can opt for an ear of buckwheat rather than an amount of grains. Typically the form of the buckwheat grain could be used, as it's resemblance with a beechnut lead to its German name "Buchweizen". But scaling a single grain to almost 1:1 might become hard to understand at a glyphic level.

Marcel